Friday, December 15, 2006

The twelve days of Christmas with a twist



A couple of years ago now, I surprised the kids with a gift I called Mom's 12 days of Christmas. I wrapped a box and put 12 ideas of fun things to do in it. Each day they took turns drawing an idea. I never intended for it to become a tradition, after all, isn't it true that the best traditions are ones you don't plan? But every year since, they have begged to do it again. Some of the ideas in the box have been serious, and some silly, and some, I have made mental notes to repeat. (or not too) So tonight's drawing was a repeater from last year. We go to Starbucks, drink peppermint steamers ( steamed milk with peppermint flavoring) and take turns telling our favorite Chritmas memories. One of the questions Pete and I asked them tonight was, " what is the favorite present you ever got?" Wouldn't you know, all of their answers surprised me, none of the favorites were even over $20.00.....soooooo, to encourage any of you parents who are wondering how you are going to afford that "popular gift on tv" be encouraged! I love nights like this! I know we don't have a perfect family. But the one thing I love about my family is that we talk. I hope that it never changes. I love that our kids share their hearts with us, and that they want to know ours. May it be one tradition that never dies! On the way to Starbucks, we stopped at the mall to see Santa, and get their picture with him. Here are a few pictures of our night. Blessings, and oh by the way...9 days till Christmas!

1 comment:

Suzy said...

I love that idea! We might have to try that next year. I think it's wonderful that you have such open communication with your kids!

love you!

Suzy