Wednesday, July 01, 2009

My selfishness revealed - yikes!

Ok, I admit it, the older I get the harder it is to be patient about certain things, and God is not done working on this in me!

Today we were enjoying a beautiful day at the lake. Everything is perfect, the water, the sun, the kids and then....an older gentleman decided to take a seat at the picnic bench directly behind my chair where I was sitting. All our stuff is on the table; a cooler, towels, toys, etc. He sits down and stays and stays, and stays! We are all just kind of standing there wondering why he feels comfortable to hang out in our spot. He smokes, then smokes some more than smokes some more.

I got really annoyed. I finally got up and went to the table and nicely asked him if he wouldn't mind putting out his ciggarettes. He was polite, and said yes, but he kept sitting there with all our stuff and it kept bugging me. Later, he left, but I didn't ever say anything more to him.

I just finished dinner and I keep thinking about this old man and how I let my selfishness ruin a chance to talk to someone and find out about their life. I totally missed a chance to witness and live it out in front of my kids. I am feeling bummed about my selfishness! Ok, God, Don't let me become one of those older, harder, self-entitled people. Let me be generous, kind, and always looking for who You might want me to share your salvation with.

Bummer!

2 comments:

. La Kris said...

Wow.. what a great reminder it is to all of us... to take advantage of these opportunities in life. It's so easy to look at things through our own eyes and miss the chance to see them through God's.

Thanks for sharing..!

Judy Stein said...

Yes, Bre....what a great reminder. Even in the heat of the battle "what would Jesus do" would be the cry of my heart....thanks for sharing your thoughts - it will help make me a better person.

Happy 4th of July!