Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Memories of a patriotic mother


I was putting gas into my car this morning and was distracted and drawn to watch this older gentlemen who was exerting much effort to independently put gas into his car next to me. He was quite along in years, had a seasoned face, and hands that looked like they still work hard. He had a flannel shirt tucked in (way to high) to his very neatly pressed slacks and was wearing a hat that said World War II Veteran. It had pins and patches all over it. I made eye contact with him and said, "I want to thank you sir, for serving our country." He proudly and quietly said, "you are welcome young lady." He carefully, slowly got into his Buick and drove off. That was it, and I was teary.

It got me thinking...Why do I choke up at things like that? I always have. I feel so STRONGLY about proudly hanging our American Flag on any day that calls for it to be hung! I am seriously moved to tears when my kids or anyone for that matter recites speeches or writings from the beginning days of our country. I get angry when soldiers aren't respected or honored. I ball like a baby when the Star Spangled Banner is sung at the Olympics. Where does this all come from?

As I was driving home, my mind began wandering back to being a little girl, and I had several fond memories I hadn't remembered in a long time - Memories of my patriotic mommy.

To share a few, these are just a couple of the things I remember very clearly and strongly:

Being at a High School football game at French Field, probably 6 or 7 with my Grandpa Johnny. "Girls, we ALWAYS put our hand on our chest when they play the National Anthem." My mom bent down and I remember her gently putting and holding my hand on my chest for the whole song, the whole song!

Car Trip to the Ocean, age 7 or 8. I remember my mom teaching Jenny and I songs like "This land is your land", "America the beautiful", "The Star Spangled Banner" in the car. I remember singing them during that entire weekend and trying to "teach" Jenny the words even though I didn't understand them myself.

While living in Indiana, age 9. Our Neighbors had an American Flag that had fallen from the pole on the house and it sat on the ground dirty and aging for quite a long time. I remember my mom telling us how angry it made her (very passionately) that they didn't pick it up. I then remember her sitting Jenny and I down at the kitchen table and telling us the rules for the flag. (I think I still remember them all)(in case you want to share or read these with your kids....www.usa-flag-site.org/)

Sitting at my Great Grandparents house for the last time in Puyallup, WA. Age 12. Listening to my Great Grandfather speak so proudly to my mom about my Grandpa's time in the service. Listening to the sheer concern and fear in their voices for a cousin of mine, who at the time was serving in Iraq.

The list goes on, All little memories of my mother speaking or displaying patriotism to me. I'm not sure why it was so deeply rooted in her, but it was. Did it come from her childhood, was it somehow related to my dad's service in the military ?(Quite a lot has surfaced after his death regarding his service in Vietnam and his possilble position as a "tunnel rat".) Regardless of the how or the why, the truth is my mom was SERIOUSLY patriotic and she ingrained a love and pride for this country in me.

So today as we honor the veterans who have served our country, I wanted to thank a few people who have affected my life, and proudly served America. Mike, Oley, and Paul, Thank you for serving and sacrificing. I honor you today!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What? No comment about the red, white and blue decorations, that let's admit-she got a little carried away with and they took over the family room? I have a few, (few) that are spread out throughout our home and always make Kevin and I smile.

Michelle said...

I was thinking of the red, white, and blue decorations that Jenny wrote about, too .... :)